Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Songs, 30 Days (2009 Edition), Day Four: I Should've Known by Aimee Mann

...dot...dot...dot...

Ahhhh, Aimee Mann...who most people remember for the creepy cat's eyes and the wacky hairstyle in "Voices Carry." Of course, while the majority of people ascribe her to one hit wonder status, we know better, don't we? We know how she's built up a big fanbase for her solo work that has netted her, among other things, a Penn brother for a husband, a movie based on her music (Magnolia, in case anyone is wondering) and a guest musician spot on Buffy The Vampire Slayer where she bemoaned the hazards of playing vampire towns.

Here's the video....
I love this song because of its wistfulness in the face of a relationship that just crumbles into nothingness. I also like the fact that it has a build--going from the quiet intro with its shimmery high hats, moody guitars and synth lick to become this big, grand celebration of 20/20 vision.

It's the kind of song that shows me how I'd like to approach every disastrous break-up, with a smile and a strength borne of newfound knowledge that will make me more confident the next time I meet someone--a someone who might very well be The One.

Granted, that's not how it ever happens, but a man can dream, can't he?

1 comment:

  1. I always wonder how it feels to be Aimee Mann, talented, beautiful and married to the man who wrote No Myth. I sometimes wonder how Penn family gatherings go when a pissing contest starts. Sean:Spicoli, oscars, actor of my generation. Aimee: Magnolia, Til Tuesday, continued career.
    Michael: I wrote and performed No Myth
    Sean and Aimee: OK you win.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BGebtVHzM

    ReplyDelete