Friday, June 3, 2011

40 Songs, 40 Days (2011 Edition), Day Five: In The Rain by Edric Haleen

A while back, I wrote about this song, which was part of the Master of Song Fu contest originally begun by Kevin Smith's QuckStop Entertainment. I didn't care for it much.

Haleen is a Michigan-based teacher and according to what little I can find out on the webs, he's an aspiring librettist for musicals--and it shows in this song, which tells a little story about the singer in the middle of a dilemma. Faced with his best friend, the woman of his dreams, and an old man who is seriously ill, maybe dying, all in the pouring rain, Haleen's POV character must decide who to give a ride in his car. And he comes up with a solution that gives everyone what they need. It tells a neat little story in a minimum of time, and I could easily see it as part of a small off-Broadway review. And Haleen's voice may not be distinctive, but it is certainly fits the style that he writes songs in--and in that context, he excels. Hell, after hearing this, I'm curious to hear the musical adaptation he wrote of Jean Merrill's The Pushcart Wars.

Going back to that first song I talked about in last year's 30Ds30Ss, I can definitely say that this is the kind of thing I was referring to when I said there is some real gold in those MoSF mixes. Sure, it's not exactly the kind of thing I can imagine grooving to as I make my way down Myrtle Avenue, but it is something cool to listen to when I'm working around the house.

No video, but you can read the lyrics, download the mp3, and/or read a little essay Edric wrote about how he came to write the song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment