Sunday, June 5, 2011

40 Songs, 40 Days (2011 Edition), Day Eight: Someday I Will Treat You Good by We Only Said

I know very little about this band; a quick Google search reveals they are French, which you could kind of guess at from their phrasing. The sound itself is very subdued--save for a bridge that features what sounds like a synth swirl, it's just two acoustic guitars and the voices of the two band members.

It does turn out that the song itself is a cover from a French tribute album to the band Sparklehorse. Not knowing the original, I can't evaluate it in this context. I will say that the song--an ambivilent number where the POV character is justifying leaving his girlfriend on the side of the road ('The beautiful ones are always crazy' 'everything that's made is made to decay' 'she just couldn't see things my way') while promising to her that he will treat her fine one day--does benefit from this minimalist setting. It actually comes off as a bit creepy, like this is the beginning of some scene of carnage from an ultra-low budget thriller or horror film.

I don't know if I like this one; it might be a little too emo for my power-pop loving tastes...but I don't hate it.

No video for this one...but here's another song by the band to give you a sense of what they're like....

...and here is the video for the Sparklehorse original...

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment